Monday, March 19, 2012

Chicago Bound

It may be a little premature to say this now (even on a blog that pretty much no one knows about/reads), since I haven't officially accepted the offer yet, but...it looks like we're moving to Chicago in a few months' time. I got 50% funding at the University of Chicago Divinity School, which isn't bad for a Masters, so that's where we'll probably be. We have to be out of GTS by June 1st (that's when our lease is up, anyways), so we'll probably spend the summer in Ohio with our parents (and maybe some time in Florida with my grandma, if we can manage it) and then head to Hyde Park right before the semester begins.

Of course, we'll be in Chicago ASAP if Adam gets a job before the fall, but considering our usual financial luck, I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Adam is acting pretty excited about the whole thing, though I can't really tell if that's all a facade or not. I know he has good friends in Chicago and he feels good about the job prospects there; we almost moved to Evanston right after we got married, and were only prevented from doing so by the closing of Seabury, which necessitated our move to General and NYC. So maybe he really is excited.

I hate to put all this pressure on him about finding a job and whatnot, but...I don't really see any way around it. I know that kind of OMG I NEED A JOB stress sucks (trust me, I just went through it when we moved here in 2009), but thems the breaks when your partner is starting school and you're the main breadwinner. I'm planning to work part-time, of course, but Adam's job is the one that will--hopefully--provide health insurance and rent, so we sort of need that. And of course, the diocese is NOT HELPING by delaying his ordination, since that means he won't be eligible for some of the better post-seminary jobs, but whatever. I learned long ago that my past assumptions about the church and its attitude towards my family were, and shall continue to be, incorrect.

I just want all of this to work out. Please God, let it all work out, even if it happens differently than we'd always planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment